It’s what you say and the way you say it!
Google loves new and fresh content and as business owners we are always wondering how we can create “awesome content”. Let’s be honest content marketing is hard. But most of us make it harder than it needs to be.
Often we seem to put our energy and resources into small gains, instead of focusing our attention on the simple changes that make a huge difference. So for help and guidance, check out some content marketing tips that I have picked up and want to share with you. If you put this lot into action, you will be able to create clever and compelling content that both Google and your target audience will love.
Top Content Marketing Tips
- Know your audience. If you know who they are, what they need, what concerns/problems they have and what makes their lives easier, you will find it easy to create content that resonates with your target audience.
- Research your competition. Find out what your direct competition are saying about their products/services and look for a gap or a different and more engaging way of saying it so that you can stand out from the crowd.
- Create a cracking headline. On average five times as many people read the headline as they do the body copy, so ensure that your headline is powerful and cannot be ignored by your target audience.
- Give something away for free. People like something for nothing, so give away free top tips, downloadable articles, weekly blogs, videos, whitepapers, webinars etc. and watch your connection levels with your target audience increase.
- Make it consistent and regular. People like to see something new on a regular basis and they also want everything that you do to look like it comes from the stable, so be consistent and it will improve your credibility.
- Keep it conversational. No-one likes to read formal content and it can make your target audience feel excluded, by adopting an inclusive and conversational tone, you will find that your response levels will increase.
- Ask for comments and feedback. People like to feel like they have been consulted and that their thoughts and opinions matter to you. So think about asking for comments and feedback on your products and services using a survey and of course ask people to share your content.
- Be a thought leader. Your target audience like to feel that you know what you are talking about and that you are an expert in your particular field. So remember to communicate from a position of authority and use quotes from other experts in your field to add further gravitas to your content.
- Pack in plenty of emotion. Communicate with your target audience using emotional words and triggers that they can recognise, understand and relate to.
- Tell a story. We all love stories, it helps us to remember things and it also helps us to establish whether a business and their products and services are authentic and whether what they are selling to us is relevant.
- Use different channels. We all engage in different ways, so make sure that your content is across different channels in order to appeal to the widest audience possible, videos, website, webinars, whitepapers, articles, top tips, newsletters etc.